Kenya Medical Supplies Authority (KEMSA) is a state corporation under the Ministry of Health established under the KEMSA Act 2013 whose mandate is:
- Procure, warehouse and distribute drugs and medical supplies for prescribed public health programs, the national strategic stock reserve, prescribed essential health packages and national referral hospitals.
- Establish a network of storage, packaging and distribution facilities for the provision of drugs and medical supplies to health institutions.
- Enter into partnership with or establish frameworks with County Governments for purposes of providing services in procurement, warehousing, distribution of drugs and medical supplies.
- Collect information and provide regular reports to the national and county government’s on the status and cost effectiveness of procurement, the distribution and value of prescribed essential medical supplies delivered to health facilities, stock status and on any other aspects of supply system status and performance which may be required by stakeholders.
- Support County Governments to establish and maintain appropriate supply chain systems for drugs and medical supplies.